Tuesday 26 October 2010

Cupboard Mushrooms and Backyard Bok Choy!

For my birthday this year (which was in May . . . yes, I'm still that far behind), I told people who asked that I wanted things that would grow or facilitate growing and so got amazing books, gardening tools, seeds and plants. Thanks, peeps!

Here is my first post of things I've grown in our backyard (and cupboard, in this case).

Siobhan, Robin & M got me a "grow your own mushrooms" kit which I have set up in old linen cupboard. After a couple of weeks, I have mushrooms!

mushie cluster

The kit I was given is half button mushrooms, half portobellos and I only have white button mushrooms so far but, boy howdy, they are TASTY!

mushie picking

They grow super fast once they are up and it is so much fun to open a cupboard and have something you've grown yourself!

mushie picked

The lovely S&D over at Vegan About Town gave me bok choy and spring onion seedlings which grew like great guns. I used the bok choy in stir fry and as steamed greens with other dinners. So good!

Homegrown Bok Choy 1

Again, it was amazing to be all "I'll just nip out to the backyard and grab some greens for dinner" which, I know makes me an insufferable city person but I am trying to grow more of our food. We just reinvigorated our herbs this weekend.

Homegrown Bok Choy 2

4 comments:

Kate said...

Awesome! Look how big the mushies are! Didn't know they were so easy to grow.

Cool Picture Gallery said...

Hi, nice blog you have here! Keep up the excellent work!
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
My Cool Blog: CoolPictureGallery

Fat Bastardo said...

You call yourself a FAT feminist? Vegetables are what food eats!!

Fat Bastardo said...

Click Here to Find Out How Us Fat People Wipe Our Butts